Monday, October 18, 2004

Waning and new interests

The day I lost to "sir" in quake , not once , but several times is still fresh in my mind . The humiliation of defeat is not one of the things I am used to taking .But when its rubbed in again and again its getting to me . If I win a match against him , I will literally .... this brings back memories of IR Rao and his first year "fiasco" ... not really a fiasco but ...

The time of the year was august 2000 I think ..and at that time , I had just entered one of the best colleges ( engg) in India . I was living amongst the smartest people in the country ... popular belief says that iits rate top and then come recs in the second rung ... I don't know about that , my pals in coll were simply amazing . I too was one among them at some point of time . It was a mental block which its all about . Education ... as it is suppposed to be was something and is something of a dream . That dream can only be lived by you , if are ready to take the effort to convert that vision into reality . That was what IRR wanted to show us in that short time we spent with him in first semester.

Honest thoughts from the heart and each hour spent with him was a glorious experience ...learning the true " meaning " of meaning itself . I for one didnt know that a ten ruppee note was not actually 10 Rs , but a representation of ten ruppees . A ruppee is a value which is represented by a coin with ruppee written on it ... its not a ruppee itself !

Well, its twisted ... I know but when told the way we were told by Mr.Rao , things can't be forgotten . Sushya has the distinction of having said to the gr8 man " Your paper was easy "
about his unsolvable sessional papers (mid terms in iim terms) and that at that time was the greatest thing I had seen in my life . And so life went on peacefully , until one day the girls complained to him about the lewd stuff some of the perverted guys had written . Proceeding from there on ... we received a great deal of gyaan told in the IRR style . Perversion was redefined by the man , until it was so firmly established in my mind that its hard coded in my brain I think .

The remedial measures we were to take to restore the class's respect in our own eyes was to scrape off the filth from the tables and chairs and revarnish the furniture ! It seemed ridiculous to accede to such a request especially if u were n't guilty .But I was a little guilty ..of drawing a batman figure on a table . And so I joined the ranks of the guilty ( inspired was I by the man ) and did my part in cleaning the tables and chairs . And after that the amount of trust shown by the man in our actions made each of us proud . Still can't forget the feeling at that point in space and time . I seriously doubt I will meet anyone like that again ... or hope to become like him 11

The life as a software engineer goes on ... the feeling of novelty is wearing off slowly ... but the feeling of familiarity with the colleagues is welcome . The partners I never used to speak with are reducing in number . But there is still one girl ... donno what to do about it , so I ll leave it at at that ... professionalism is enough right ? at the workplace , can you be friends with all , is it necessary ? any comments are welcome .

I recently found a treasurehouse of stories on my office intranet ... gr8 asimov and many others present !! Spent the major portion of the day following a story ..." the bicentennial man " ..learnt that the movie is not all that loyal to the story . There were a lot of additions to the original story to make it more watchable . In the end I ll say the movie is a really great adaptation and modification ... the unanswered call of "andrew", the robot who turns human after 2 centuries ... is answered in the movie version, makes the viewer happy and I too really liked it .Typically in novels such ends are left incomplete and are meant to leave the readers think about ... no moral conclusion is offered ... rather thought if provoked ... thats why I love sci fi . gr8 read , worth the time spent .

thats it for the day ... this makes my load of words a lot lighter :)

No comments: