Friday, August 05, 2005

is work for money alone worth it ?

To this question , a year ago I would have answered , "what work ? its all the same ... its the pay alone that matters .." quite confidently . But now I am seriously beginning to question this notion .

Sometime during the first couple of months of my work , I heard from a more experienced guy , that technology can be very good to you and it can also ruin you . If you can adapt to new technology and keep pace with the others , fine , you ll always be useful to your or some other company , but if you stick to one technology and refuse to learn ... then when the change comes , you are obselete !

I always regarded any advice about my career with a lot of skepticism ... at the bottom of my heart , I always knew that I ll never enjoy any work as much as I enjoy playing quake or sketching or reading . But to actually come to the point where its evident , its like a rocket about to blow up at myfeet and throw me up a metre high ... making me an easy target for any snipers around (11 , all quake jargon , 11 = l.o.l) . At times like this when there is no such thing called "satisfaction" after a job well done , it boils down to how , much you can keep any emotion out of it and get it done as quickly as possible . Something like when I used to hold my nose pinched tight while gobbling down milk .

Recently I had an interesting conversation with one of my friends . He is one of those guys who is asked to work weekends , whole nights and any other inhuman combination of work hours possible . He was using some choice words against this act when I asked him why bother with this work if its so irritating .... to which he said , nobody is going to pay as much money as he was getting in a software job ! Coming to think of it , it is true ... a very competent English teacher I met in CAT coaching classes said she got only about 10k per month and a Call Center employee earns more than that . Then think about the complaining software engineers ... who earn 15 to 25 k .. maybe more so easily comparatively . Coming back to my friend , he earns a lot alright , but at the end of the week and many a time , at the end of many weeks ... all he does is go back to work ... and come back home and sleep like a log. The lifestyle is absolutely pathetic . He gets up at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and eventually has "brunch" at 4 or 5 , which is a combo meal (breakfast + lunch + snacks) . And then his day at work begins , with endless phone calls and other such inane activities for which , hiring an engineer is criminal .

A few words from one of my really amazing lecturers in college (Mr.I R Rao .... actually he was the most Roarkian guy I ve ever seen in my life ) come to my mind whenever I think about work . He said , "... Placements ? Even if you have not managed to clear all your subjects , you have the stamp of your college on your forehead and you ' ll get a job " . The reason you get that job so easily is because any idiot can do the same thing , but you have the advantage of the conventional qualifications ( actually over qualificiation is a term which does exist practically ! ), ie being an engineer from a reputed institution."The job , will be like giving you a golden broom and asking you to sweep the floor ... " That statement has come true to such an extent to so many people around me and myself , its something which every aspiring software engineer should know, and every student who goes blindly to the CET cell to choose Computer Science and ECE because thats how the mainstream is flowing . I am not saying that software is not a good industry , in fact for the software engineer who is genuinely interested in this work , it provides an immense oppourtunity , everything can be learnt with just an internet connection you can even get at home . Some of the best technical guys I 've met in the last one year are not engineers ! They are BSc graduates (chemistry ...mechanical) , NIITians ... and other different educational qualifications . We , the engineers entered proudly , because some of us were chosen with so much confidence in our abilities that it was insulting to think that these guys could be better than us ... but the truth is far from that . With a lot of hard work and a genuine interest , those guys are excellent and much more focussed on work than a typical engineer who is looking to go the management way .

Suddenly I am so spent that I feel like concluding this exhausting post ( for me ) because I ve been playing quake with matter over the net and that is an experience which leaves me drained and satisfied ... something like an orgasm . So goodnight folks , I hope I struck a chord somewhere and looking forward to any comments ...

7 comments:

Deepak Krishnan said...

This post made for real intersting reading and its sadly a true reflection of the situation most of us are in or will be in.
But the irony is, though engineers are abundant, making the mere fact that you have ur BE a redundancy, engineers are treated like gods in our society. i say this because i have heard some real bad tasting comments in delhi like 'Why are these arts students allowed to write IAS? it should be the domain of engineers because we are the only ones who know how to think in a structured manner.'..c'mon, if we begin a witchhunt to determine who should not be writing IAS i feel engineers will top the list....

Karthik Subramani said...

Hmm , maybe true , IAS tests your English too very intensively . If you compare the work we (engrs) put in for an exam series and that required for IAS (minimum of 1 1/2 years !)... the ones who do make it finally must be ... extraordinary people!

Anonymous said...

Ley railmani..
I had a feeling of deja-vu all the time while i was goin thru those posts..one, coz u had already told me the 'Travail'ogue n Im kinda used to your way of reasoning things..
none the less, thoughts abt the sorry state of IT professionals
is something I agree with too..
But I gotta tel u to find a way to get a feelin of "accomplishment" from work..
Thats how I've come to enjoy the work I do...
Actually I feel 'at home' not at home but in office...coz time just flies by in office..n ur constantly adding value to somthing..

Gotta appreciate ur 'bloggin' energy..
Keep Blogging!!

Karthik Subramani said...

Ley gutlee ,

I do enjoy being in office , but I can't stand the unfairness of somethings there . If u want to be nice and submissive all the time , u get taken for a ride . So always be in the driver's seat . "Accomplishment" is also a very dependant thing on many factors ... becoz the company's work decides wat u do and not the other way around. Within that bandwidth , if u manage , gr8, else so-so.Anyway,lets see how things shape up...

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://rjfpuuju.com/kcte/eeay.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://msmecvua.com/dmsx/swvg.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://rjfpuuju.com/kcte/eeay.html | http://wsbxtods.com/ooez/nmuj.html