Tuesday, August 21, 2007

2 months and a test

Less than a year ago I left my then job in Chennai and came to Bangalore , citing the reason as doing GMAT some time soon. Today I finished the test and I think its worth recording some of the "interesting" things I went through in the interim period.

The test itself is really straightforward in that it tests your high school math skill , reading comprehension , some kind of logical reasoning with "Critical Reasoning" and Sentence correction. Having prepared for CAT last year quite seriously ,the Quants part (which has problem solving and data sufficiency) did nt need much preparation and just required some care before deciding the right answer... ie, to avoid careless mistakes. Verbal was what took some time and dedication.

My 2 months preparation was roughly split up like this:

From OG11 , I just tried solving a few questions in quants, and verbal in no particular order , but did some daily just to keep the momentum and not feel guilty about it :D. This took maybe 1-2 hours everyday . After I finished OG11, I stopped doing exercises in CR ,RC and quants... only the mock tests , ie Powerprep, gmat prep and some 800 score tests . I started going through Manhattan Sentence correction, which was really good to learn a systematic approach to sentence correction and along with OG10 sentence correction exercises... you see manhattan gives u the questions you need to solve from OG10 to understand a certain topic ,so it really starts making sense.

One day before the test , I finished all the exercises in SC and watched "Fantastic four: the rise of the silver surfer" , Jessica Alba who looked cute except for the pseudo blonde wig ( yuck) , why do people ever try to look like Caucasians? Anyway , I slept well and went on time for the test thanks to my dad and his activa . <> Test got over , I got a decent score ... 760 and I returned home in rain again thanks to my dad . And then i decided to blog about it just for the heck of it.

No comments: