Saturday, March 11, 2006

Life = (Dream > reality)? Dream : reality ;

What would you do when you finally meet the guy/girl of your dreams? Hmm , I think this is a question most of us must have asked ourselves quite a few times . At least I have . But by thinking about the statement , I make an assumption that the girl who I am thinking about is the girl of my dreams. Might seem like a small technicality , but to me its very difficult to think of some creature who has all the characteristics which I would like in a mate. When I indulge in such fantasy , my thought (while its still clear and still in some sensible domain) are centered around some one I ve met and known, at least talked to . So this means the very idea of a girl of my dream is corrupt , cause the dream girl cannot be defined completely as virtual because shes somewhat dependant on real people and the real ones cannot become the dream one completely because they are in fact finite non abstract beings with some definite characteristics which cannot match a set of parameters which are entirely undefined . Hmm , now that was a whole lot of bullshit at one go , was n't it?? I am getting complaints about this habit of mine from people around me , but what the hell , whens the last time saying anything sensible been fun .

I guess there was one time when I lost out on something because I wasn't sensible enough at the right time . Now that I think of it , there have been quite a few times . One of these was at my college nitk . There used to be a college press club which was considered to be the domain of the highly creative and cool . And moi being somewhat in that category , at least the former ... gave it a try. An illustrious and a really "cool" , (actually one of the coolest to my fresher eyes ) seniors walked in and gave us the topic in a typical bangalore lingo (now tats a vague definition if there ever was one) . " A screw on the floor is better than a nail in the door" . "Give it your best shot he said" .

At that time , my impression of college clubs and other such societies was moulded into a single thought: " Either be the first , different ,or really good at something to make it" . Now I wasn't quite sure I was n't the best , I knew I could be the first to get some new idea , and also the one to really be different at what I did , quite deliberately. And thats what I ended up doing. I wrote one of the most lewd and insane peice of crap I could come up with . I guess you could think what I might have written. I feel really lousy I can't go back in time and erase that. Anyway , with such a topic , I guess the idea was to see how you could make it something worthwhile without letting your mind follow the usual "trying to impress " modes . I ended up one of them in the negative direction . Even then it might have been to my advantage coz u can never really say whose wavelength matches yours and in what way. But when there is such a situation where I have given it a full go in one direction , and when I knew it was bad, ... it would n't succeed. And so I was n't one of the people who made it to the next round . I heard very interesting things about the interviews and also after that , the press gang was considered somewhat a sense of awe , or disdain or many other emotions depending on ones relationship with them. For me , it was a feeling of I should have been one of them, cribbing / gossipping about the college going ons
and at the same time getting in so many puns and hidden meanings that it would have really given me some twisted sense of pleasure. Anyway that was n't meant to be and life went in a different direction.

I started off with a dream mate and now I ll return to that topic . Hmm , What is the most interesting thing about each time I have the dreams I am talking about .They are totally awesome dreams which make me feel sometimes that reality sucks big time! A part of me knows that reality is the ultimate thing and dreaming (especially late morning ) is really harmful to the real life u have) , but that part of me just disappears in the absence of a good night's sleep and consequent fatigue... and I become literally a man living in a dream. I get lost in those small yet so pleasing a fanasy like I take that girl out to the place I eat everyday , and I comment on the smallest details which nobody but me has ever thought about. Like how good the sambhar at "Sangeetha " tastes and why having "Ghee dosa " instead of "oil dosa" is anyday a better option . How wonderful it usually feels to be at a place called Elliot's beach where the bajji's sold hot and piping are such wonderful appetizers and later cause a minor tummy ache without fail. Ok , ok , I know this is kind of wierd and seems unlikely that a guy has such dreams. I can explain . These are some of the thoughts which run through my at some point in the day when I know that I am
lonely and reveries just creep in . Well , one of my wierd fantasies is that this girl is a quaker ( plays this game called quake 3 arena) !! I imagine that we fight for hours at a stretch and shes as good as me and when that happens , the tournament ( 1 on 1 ) games can go on for a long time with really demanding concentrations. The thought of such a game is in itself such a great thing that I can't how it would be if we met face to face .Yeah , I know thats wierd , but does n't everyone want to meet someone whos also great at what you are and is able to enjoy it as much as you do? ...

I guess I ve broadly covered a couple of dream types I ve had until now , one , the really small reveries which come up every now and then about something which is ready to be said but lacks the situation or the right company; two : the really wierd ones where ur deepeset ,darkest desires come true ( well not really tat deep , is it ;)) . There is one more kind I believe , which comes somewhat in between these two. It might be a really not so sensible classification like a discrete "enum" or a "typedef" , but i think its worth documenting . This usually goes like this ... I go ahead with the many rehearsed attempts at proposals and as a pleasant surprise , she accepts ! And then I live through heaven for the rest of that dream , which ... covers quite a bit of time. The time when we go out to different places to eat and we do all the silly exciting things that lovers do. When its so exciting to be out at a restaurant looking deep into her eyes when you know that some class is also going down the drain at college at the same time . Eventually it leads to a marriage and then things can go two ways , one : I can't mention here and the other I suddenly end up with a family and I have such an adorable bunch of kids whose only hero is me ! And the wife is all shy in front of the kids ... yeah , my mind is an awesome place to be and when I finally realise that it was all a dream ... I find it really hard to beleive for some time that what happened actually did not happen at all!

Those are some of my experiences , if you can call them that ... here are some of the really cool stuff as in movies/ stories I ve come across . There is this Science fiction writer called Philip K dick ... who used to write some totally amazing out of the world books. The movie "Total recall" is based on one of his books , in which there is a concept of "memory implants " which give you the impression of having had a wonderful holiday in Mars with the woman of your choice and you can choose the package you want to experience. Now that is one truly twisted story which is so logically appealing yet so amazingly out of the world , u got to watch it to beleive it. Thers is one more story in which there is a cop who is searching for a killer and after he finally solves the mystery , he discovers that he himself is the killer , yeah , multiple personalities ,memory implants , androids, robots were all run of the mill for this guy and seeing through his eyes , you get lost. Not very far behind or maybe in some ways ahead is this other writer called "Isaac Asimov" whose "Foundation " series is his main claim to fame. In one of his short stories collection I ve read one where , there is a profession for dreamers. Can you believe it ? professional dreamers ! but for what reason ? There is technology to capture what goes on while you dream as video and audio ! so the better the dreamer you are , the audience who buys your "dream " has the same experience with the same thrills . It does to come to a logical conclusion at some point of time when the real life of the professional dreamer becomes meaningless , because his first nature is to dream and then to live . Can you imagine a social life where you can't which is real ? the woman in your dreams or the woman who is your wife.... thats what happens here , and that is an amazing story. You can get that book if you tried , i think the name was "collection of short stories " or something similiar to that , by Isaac Asimov.

Well , I think I ve reached a suitable level of exhaustion from quake ,blogging and tv to put me in dream mode , so good night and sweet dreams !

5 comments:

Reji said...

Hmmm.. Personal opinion... It is always better to have your girlfriend/life partner as someone who's ideas and dreams are totally opposite yours. That way you would have less to fight upon as you would not understand what she says and she would not inderstand what u are blaberring. And silence is the best thing that u can offer against ignorance :)

Reji said...

Well... Its more like this... If she does not comprehend what u are speaking about, there are less number of chances that she would pounce on your mistakes as she would not realise that u are speaking the wrong thing... :) :) :)

Karthik Subramani said...

that would be like being in a software company , blabbering and not understanding all part of it ;) ...and of course the product will be delivered at the end one way or the other.

it makes sense , but that would be a surface relationdship only if there was no understanding ...about my job / passions for e.g. , won't it?
anyway , dont know , just contemplation , no practice :)

Nisha said...

its nice to know we all have equally unrealistic drems of the "ideal one" :-)....

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »