Wednesday, December 08, 2004

different faces of the s/w industry ..

I was sad and I was lonely ... a year ago
Going through the moves without much ado
All around me people were going places , they were getting placed
I ... watched on silently , nothing showing on my face
And then it happened on a sunny day ,
It was summer you see and the heat was holding sway ...
They came , they saw and they recruited me !
I was overcome with ...joy ? somewhat , but felt more like "why we?"

But that was long ago , and now I am something more ...
Learning the ropes in a different arena , I entered a novice to the s/w core ,
I worked and worked and still felt bad
Until I realised that there was much fun to be had ...
Be clearer to your boss , I learnt , for hes watching you
Wherever you are , good or bad !
So when you like some work say it so , and hate something ... could make you mad
Many things I learnt from this boss of mine ...
Saying what you feel can be done with a smile
Telling you to work can be made to feel like a cup of wine


Through a crisis you 'll be put ,
Just to see, how well you can earn your cut,..maybe ?
No way , its to see how you can handle your butt
The more levels there are between you and the boss
The more screwed becomes the words that are put .
A tear or two can easen things ... when you are under pressure
But boy can it screw up your future pleasure !
An enterprising attitude all the bosses seek ,
Show that you are strong , not that you are weak .
If you have an idea , make it a product and sell it to him ,
If he buys it , you be sure that chances are not actually slim!

At many times a thought comes by ,
Am i the winner in this bargain or is there is something beyond the blue sky ?
I get lost in thought , and am rudely awoken , by the harsh ceiling lights ...
The sky is blocked , the lights are there to remind you ... we are paying you so high ,
So you better work hard , cause the day of appraisal is ever so nigh !

Between the boss and I ,
Lies another experienced guy .
Hes the jack of all (MicroSoft) trades ,
Technically speaking , he would have got good grades (were in school).
The boss who was , has taken a break and the jack takes over and reports to him ...
A new complication enters our simple bug fixing life .
The communication to the highest branch now is filtered by a knowing hand .
A few days later , a feedback is in order says the experienced guy .
I am interested , because he said it , as he looked into my eye .

"Come out with what you think " he says ,
A thought not spoken , is a thought not used .
A mind capable of brilliant things , is being wasted by not .. marketing ..!?
"Come on, I know all of this", I thought , but being silent ... is it such an ill spot ?
Being capable is not enough , for this is not school ... or for that matter college
Where the grades can come and go , without a thought passing through the gray matter ...
More vital is to "do and show " , for a good deed done is not a good deed seen ...
Some facts are difficult to stomach , especially where you are told you suck !?
"I know what I am , what the f**k ? " comes to the tip of the tongue ...
But think some more , from the boss's shoes ,
Move with the peers and do what they do .

Taking an initiative is brownie point always ,
And it earns respect , for your dedication and creative ways .
Pressure can change things sometimes , the egg may become harder when boiled , or sometimes start cracking ...
The boss ain't eat no egg , he just likes watching and learning .
Tested and tried until you are for a better place to hold ...
A promotion will have to wait , my friend ... so be bold
And make progress everyday , without being told .
"Cause at the end of the day" , the boss will always say ...
An idea thought is of no use , ... produce it and sell it to him ,
then your chances aren't actually slim .



--- railmani

No comments: